Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Potsdam Volunteer Rescue Squad
(PVRS). These are the requirements for applicants:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- possess an unrestricted driver’s license valid in New York State
- Be physically and mentally capable of performing the duties of a PVRS member.
There are four types of membership:
- Regular Membership – requires that you be a permanent resident of our primary service
- Associate Membership – does not require that you have a permanent residence within our primary service area, but you must reside within our primary service area at least 50% of each year. Most of the students of local universities who are members of PVRS have this type of membership, which allows them flexibility to take a leave of absence when they are on vacation from school. Associate members are not permitted to vote on constitutional matters.
- Auxiliary Membership – may be obtained by those who are already members of other EMS agencies. They are not required to attend our meetings or be a member of a PVRS duty crew, but they must complete a 16-hour tour of duty each month. Auxiliary members area also not allowed to vote on constitutional matters.
- Non-Resident Membership – may be obtained for those who are seeking membership but do not live in the service district of PVRS, live in St. Lawrence County , and are not college students. Non-Resident members have the same responsibilities as Regular members but may not vote on constitutional matters or hold office.
- Non-Operational Membership – do not answer ambulance calls but help with office work,
care of the building and equipment, etc. They are not required to attend meets or training sessions.
The responsibilities of memberships include the following:
- Regular and Associate members are assigned to a duty crew which is typically scheduled one night out of every six nights from 10 pm until 6 am the next day which time you are required to answer any calls received. The frequency of the duty crew may increase at certain times if the year, primarily at times when Associate members are on leave.
- Regular and Associate members must attend membership meetings on the second Tuesday of every month at 7 pm at the Potsdam Station unless a valid excuse is submitted. Meeting typically last approximately two hours.
- Members must either be an EMT or be enrolled in (and attending) an EMT class within one year after they have become a member.
- Members are expected to help with facilities and equipment clean and well-maintained.
If interested in becoming a member you can apply online or download and print a physical copy. Applications can be turned in at Station 1 in person or mailed.